It takes years to accumulate clutter so it stands to reason that it could take a while to get things under control.
Use these 7 simple strategies to help get you started.
- Adopt the tactic that for every new thing you bring into your home one must leave. If you have a particularly full house consider removing 2 or 3 things for every one item you bring home.
- Make decluttering a ritual part of your day, week or month. Every little bit you do brings you closer to where you want to be. Consistency is key.
- Make an appointment with yourself. Example every Monday at 7:00 pm
- Decide on a specific measurable task. In 15 minutes I will gather 10 things to donate.
- Stay focused. Remember, the time you set aside is an appointment. Texting, TV and phone calls can wait.
- Pick a manageable appointment duration; possibly 15-30 minutes. Know your personal limit and STOP before you become overwhelmed or fatigued.
- Donate. Give away. Or place the ad to sell your items that same day. Decluttering is not about shifting things around and putting things in neat piles – it’s about getting things out the door.
Know someone who might like this? We like sharing, so please, pass it on.